Preparing for the end of the personal tax year.


The 5th April marks the end of the tax year.  Those having to complete a personal self assessment tax return for 20/21 have until 31st January 2022 to file and make payment – although we don’t recommend leaving it that late.

It’s never too early to start gathering the information together that your accountant will need to complete your personal self assessment tax return.

Below is a list of some of the things that you may need to gather together and keep hold of for your self-assessment tax return:

P60 from Employment

This is a summary of your pay and deductions from your employment throughout the year, which your employer should provide you with no later than 31st May 2017.  It will contain much of the same information as your final payslip for the year so keep hold of that as well.


If you left your employment during the year and did not start another paid job before the end of the tax year, then it’s your P45 not the P60 above that you will need to keep hold of for your tax return.

Interest statements

Your banks and building societies should be sending out your annual statements shortly after the end of the tax year, showing the amount of interest you have earnt, and any tax that they have deducted from it at source.


A list of all the dividend amounts along with the dates they were taken will be needed.  If you have online software then a summary of your dividend account should be sufficient, or alternatively copies of the dividend vouchers raised for each.

Mortgage statement

Mortgage interest is no longer an allowable expense when calculating taxable rental profits from 6th April onwards. However, a basic rate tax deduction of up to 20% of the finance cost can be made so it’s important to have these details.  Mortgage companies tend to wait until the end of the calendar year to send out their statements so make sure you request them for the tax year well in advance.

Student loan

If you have an outstanding balance and earn over the £17,775 threshold, then your student loan will be payable at 9% through your self-assessment tax return. If you think that 9% total will be above the amount you owe back to the Student Loan Company, then it’s important to get confirmation from them of your balance so that you do not over pay them.


The P11D forms detail the cash equivalents of benefits provided to you during your employment and are due for filing with HMRC by 6th July.  The employer will have to pay class 1a NIC on them and you will need to include these as taxable income on your return.  These could include things like private health insurance,  use of a company car, childcare or travel costs.

They above are just some of the examples of paperwork you will need to keep hold of, but it is important to have supporting documentation for anything included on your return – and to check that anything that should be included isn’t missing!

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest